Karzai, Ahmadzai condemn attack on Abdullah

 
KABUL (Pajhwok): President Hamid Karzai and presidential contender Dr. Ashraf Ghani Ahmadzai on Friday condemned an attack on Abdullah Abdullah in Kabul, in which four persons were killed and several others wounded.
A suicide bomber in a car targeted a convoy of vehicles carrying Abdullah, a leading presidential runner, soon after he left the venue of a rally west of Kabul.
Four people were killed and several others injured in the attack, the Ministry of Interior (MoI) said.
MoI Spokesman Sadiq Saddiqui said the suicide bomber exploded his vehicle the moment the supporters of Abdullah started leaving the Ariana Hotel.
Initial reports suggested four people had been killed and several others suffered injuries, he added.
Karzai in a statement called the attack the handiwork of enemies of Afghanistan, who did not want the Afghans to elect their leader in a peaceful environment.
“These kinds of tactics would not deter the Afghans from going polling stations to elect their future leader.”
Karzai expressed his grief over the loss of lives in the blasts and offered condolences to the bereaved families. He also prayed for swift recovery of those wounded.
Presidential hopeful Dr. Ashraf Ghani Ahmadzai also condemned the attack on his rival candidate in strongest terms.
Ahmadzai tweeted: “We condemn the attack on respected presidential candidate Dr Abdullah Abdullah.”  “This is the act of the enemies of Afghanistan to disrupt the democratic process in the country.”
Rm/ma

Add new comment

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.