MoD seeks action against Pak rebel hideouts

 
KABUL (Pajhwok): Peace and security would continue to elude the people of Afghanistan until militant safe havens in Pakistan’s tribal belt were eliminated, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) said on Sunday.
MoD spokesman Zahir Azimi told reporters in Kabul that foreigners trained and assisted insurgents for staging attacks inside Afghanistan.
He said Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF) had been able to thwart several attempts by insurgents to disrupt the second and decisive round of presidential election.
The MoD official said 500 incidents of violence occurred on the Election Day, leaving 18 security men and 33 civilians dead and more than 130 others wounded.
In retaliation, he said, 176 militants were killed, 93 others wounded and 10 more detained.  Azimi said security for the runoff was a test case for Afghan forces to show the world their ability of defending Afghanistan.
The MoD spokesman condemned rocket attacks from Pakistan into eastern and southeastern provinces, saying the aggression continued despite 37 meetings between officials from the two countries in this regard.
nh/ma

Add new comment

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.