Presidential Palace pours scorn on partiality claim

 
KABUL (Pajhwok): The Presidential Palace on Wednesday poured scorn on presidential runner Dr. Abdullah Abdullah’s allegation that President Hamid Karzai had supported his rival in the runoff election.
Earlier in the day, Abdullah demanded an immediate stop to the vote-tallying process until their demands were met. The election commissions’ decisions would not be acceptable to his camp as long as his demands were not met. 
“We have evidence of ballot stuffing in areas where no election took place. Residents of some areas were not allowed to exercise their legal right. As a result, we have lost our confidence in the electoral bodies.”
After the ex-foreign minister’s expression of no-confidence in the electoral bodies, the Independent Election Commission (IEC) said it would continue counting votes from the June 14 runoff.
IEC spokesman, Noor Mohammad Noor, said both candidates had signed a policy of the commission. Under that, both should respect the IEC and IECC decisions.
Meanwhile, Karzai’s deputy spokesman reiterated the president’s neutrality during the electoral process -- a key step toward the first-ever smooth transition of power in Afghanistan.
In an exclusive talk with Pajhwok Afghan News, deputy presidential spokesman Faiq said the president had equal respect for both candidates and had been in contact with them.
“Differences over elections are natural everywhere in the world. We hope such issues would be resolved in line with the relevant law and the national interest,” he remarked.
mud

Add new comment

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.